Roman Holiday (Centennial Collection) (2-DVD)
Romance in romantic Rome!
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: November 11, 2008
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Paramount
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dubbed - Spanish - French - Optional
- Subtitled - English - Optional
Disc 1: Feature Film
- Additional Release Material:
- Audrey Hepburn - The Paramount Years
- Remembering Audrey
- Rome with a Princess
- Dalton Trumbo: From A-List to Blacklist
- Restoring ROMAN HOLIDAY
- Behind the Gate: Costumes
- Paramount in the '50s - Retrospective Featurette
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gregory Peck & Audrey Hepburn|
|Performer:||Eddie Albert, Tullio Carminati, Hartley Power, Harcourt Williams, Margaret Rawlings & Paolo Carlini|
|Directed by||William Wyler|
|Edited by||Robert Swink|
|Screenwriting by||Dalton Trumbo, Ian McLellan Hunter & John Dighton|
|Composition by||Georges Auric|
|Art Direction by||Hal Pereira & Walter Tyler|
|Produced by||William Wyler|
|Director of Photography:||Franz Planer & Henri Alekan|
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Actress: Audrey Hepburn
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Costume Design (b&w): Edith Head
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Motion Picture Story: Dalton Trumbo
Rating: 5/5 -- A lovely film. Full Review
[Hepburn is] still enormously popular, fondly remembered for her elegant, effortless warmth on screen.
Rating: 3.5/4 -- For lovers of romantic comedies through the ages, Roman Holiday remains a favorite. Full Review
[Wyler] times the chuckles with a never-flagging pace, puts heart into the laughs, endows the footage with some boff bits of business and points up some tender, poignant scenes in using the smart script and the cast to the utmost advantage. Full Review
Rating: 3/5 -- Hepburn represents all western cinema, finally allowed out to play on the cobbled streets of postwar Europe. Full Review
Little White Lies
The newcomer named Audrey Hepburn gives the popular old romantic nonsense a reality it has seldom had before. Full Review
With Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn turning in superb performances, Roman Holiday is 118 minutes of sheer entertainment. Full Review
This classic romantic comedy introduced Audrey Hepburn to audiences as a modern-day princess. Stifled by her royal entourage on a trip to Rome, Hepburn's Princess Ann escapes to explore the Italian city on her own. While incognito, she falls in love with an American newspaperman, Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck). When Bradley learns of Ann's true identity, he finds himself torn between following his nose for news--and turning her into a big story--or the growing affections of his heart. A hit in 1953, ROMAN HOLIDAY won Hepburn an Academy Award for Best Actress, and was also notable for its Oscar-winning story by then-blacklisted Dalton Trumbo (credited as Ian McLellan Hunter).
Audrey Hepburn's Oscar winning performance in her first starring role.Roman Holiday was nominated for ten Academy Awards, and Audrey Hepburn captured an Oscar for her portrayal of a modern-day princess, rebelling against the royal obligations, who explores Rome on her own. She meets Gregory Peck, an American newspaperman who, seeking an exclusive story, pretends ignorance of her true identity. But his plan falters as they fall in love. Eddie Albert contributes to the fun as Peck's carefree cameraman pal. Stylishly directed by William Wyler, this romantic comedy ranks as one of the most enjoyable films of all times.
Source - Paramount Home Entertainment
- ROMAN HOLIDAY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1999.
- Blacklisted writer Dalton Trumbo originally could not claim the credit for "Story." The Academy Award went to Ian McLellan Hunter, who was fronting for Trumbo. McLellan was in the meantime hiding out in Mexico--avoiding a House subpoena-- and did not attend the ceremony to accept the award in person.
- Academy Award Nominations: 10, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay.
- Academy Awards: 3, including Best Actress-Audrey Hepburn, Best Motion Picture story.
- Sales Rank: 65,073
- UPC: 097361389943
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Hallmark 3-Movie Holiday Collection (Entertaining Christmas...
$12.60 Super Savings
Hallmark Holiday Collection: The Sweetest Christmas /...
$9.10 Super Savings
Hallmark Holiday Collection: A Veteran's Christmas / Home...
$9.10 Super Savings